“I do it because I can; I can because I want to; I want to because you said I couldn’t”
Lately I’ve noticed that I’ve been receiving what I like to call, a severe case of shade, for my choice to live a healthier life, as well as try to lose weight. A person who throws shade, “compliments” you, while putting you down at the same time. Basically saying something negative with a “positive” spin.
It’s hard enough making such a huge choice to change your lifestyle. It becomes even more difficult when the people you are around are not supportive.
My favorite is, when people tell me, “you are too skinny, don’t lose any more weight.” Like um, who made you the police officer over my body?! I can lose or gain as much weight as I want. I can lift as much as I want, and build as much muscle as I want – why? Because, hi, it’s my body – thanks!
Negativity is like an infectious disease. Once it get’s in, it spreads like a wildfire, and suddenly consumes you. You become engulfed by it’s presence, and your whole mood shifts. Your mind dwells on it, you begin to accept the words said to you. You in return become negative.
Today I want to give you a few tips on how to stay motivated, and focused on your goals in the midst of hate, shade, and negativity!
“Whoever is trying to bring you down, is already below you”
1. Remember why you started – Think of all the reasons you decided to go on your fitness journey. Jot them down, and keep them in places where you can always see them. They can be a constant reminder to never give up, until you reach your goal.
2. Change your environment – If you have people in your life that are not supportive of your goals, choices, and decisions. Stop entertaining them. Create a positive surrounding. Interact with like minded people. Doing this will keep you motivated and positive. You know what they say – “you are a product of your environment.”
3. Speak greatness into the atmosphere – Words have the greatest force. Wake up each day and say ‘I am FIERCE”, “I can do anything I set my mind to”, “Today will be a great day”. It all starts with you. Speak it, and you shall become it. Infusing your mind with positive thoughts, will cause you to produce more positive results in your life.
4. Stick to your plan – Write a plan, of how you want to achieve your goals. Write the entire process from beginning to end on a piece of paper, or in your phone, or tablet. Once you have a written out list, you are going to feel motivated and want to complete it!
5. Join a fitness community – Download a fitness app. I love fitness apps, and fitness communities. You are able to interact with other individuals who want the same things you do. You are able to motivate each other, as well as stay on track with your personal goals. It is a great place to meet like minded people, that you can learn from, teach, and exchange ideas with. I like to use My Fitness Pal.
6. Celebrate your progress – Take pictures of your journey. Look at where you started and where you are now. Appreciate all your hard work. Tell yourself that you are a winner. Celebrate your progress whether big or small. You have already done so much. Sometimes we get so caught up in everything else, we forget how much we have already achieved.Treat yourself, at the end of each week. You have worked so hard, you deserve it.
7. Do what makes you happy – At the end of the day, you have to live your life for you. Make choices, based on your happiness. Don’t worry about what other people have to say about it. As long as you are not putting yourself, or anyone else in danger…do you boo! People come and go – but your happiness is forever! Live your life to the fullest…YOLO! 🙂
Never give up, keep looking forward. The only person who can stop you is you! I hope you all have a beautiful. I am about to eat a snack, and go for a walk. It’s a beautiful day here in Florida!
SOUND OFF! How do you stay motivated? Have you lost friends, because of your choices in life? Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!